Friday, August 13, 2010

Summer in the City - Ways to beat the heat

Seems like summer started extra early this year (I recall feeling it was too hot to wear pants sometime in early May), so I keep telling Sam, shouldn't it be cooling off early (like now) since summer started so soon? He insists that August is always brutal, and we are in for at least another month of sweaty muggy hot, but I am still hoping for an early fall. Sometimes you have to get creative on super hot days, and New Yorkers have their own methods for staying cool:


Find a sprinkler. They have them at all the playgrounds here, but I recommend borrowing a child you may know and bringing them with you.  



Retreat to commercial A/C. Most New Yorkers aren't blessed with central air conditioning, but big commercial spaces, like the Brooklyn Museum, have loads of cool air they blast all summer long. Here I'm cooling off at their cafe, while the man next to me ingests copious amounts of sugar packets and a splash of coffee.



When you can't escape the outdoors, take in something beautiful, like here, at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. This will distract you from the fact that you have sweated through your thin t-shirt and your heavy application of deodorant isn't cutting it as the heat index tips above 90 degrees. Also, they have loads of old beautiful trees which you can escape beneath for a few glorious, if brief moments in the shade.

And when all else fails. Iced coffee. Loads and loads of iced coffee. I cannot think of a time or place when I've ever purchased iced coffee as I frequently and desperately as I have since I've lived here. Seriously. I think it's saved my life at least six times this summer alone.

No comments :