Saturday, August 21, 2010

Cinematic Moment of the Week: My life is a Rap Musical

Recently I was walking to meet Sam and some out-of-towner friends at our favorite sushi joint, when I passed a group of young gentleman standing outside of our neighborhood convalescent home. They looked kind of like this, but with nursing home building features behind them:

This was strange because A) the only groups of people who usually hang out in front of the convalescent home are the convalescents who live there and B) they seemed to be checking out the ladies who were  walking past them, and in front of a convalescent home seems a strange place to do such an activity. But maybe I am not up on the trends of men attempting to pick up ladies on the street. (Sidenote: In NYC, there are certain things a lady experiences when walking alone or in the company of another lady, that most of her man friends/spouses never have the good fortune of witnessing. This includes men whistling at you, howling at you, and my personal favorite, making kissing noises at you. (when I say favorite what I really mean is I want to punch these men in the face, because the kissing noise is not cute, is not flattering, and does not make me like you. It's rude and gross.) It happens on a weekly basis and I've been here long enough that if I perceive a potential kissing noise/yelling-awkward-pick-up-lines-at-me-as-I-make-a-bee-line-for-the-corner situation, I will do my best to put my head down and get out of the line of fire as soon as possible. One out of every 50 times a dude says something to you on the street, it is actually kind of cute/funny. But those ain't good odds.)
So I've got my head down, I've sped up and am walking past them very quickly, when I realize they aren't barking pick up lines at ladies, they are making up raps about them on the fly and singing them boyz2men style on the sidewalk. Unfortunately by the time I realized this I was already rounding the corner (otherwise I would have walked slower than usual to enjoy this original rap about myself, duh), but I did make out some fresh beats that were something along the lines of "she's wearing her sunglasses and her dress by burberry" which was hilarious, because A) I was wearing this dress:

And B) I was wearing the prescription glasses I've had for the last five years, and they don't look like sunglasses at any angle. Still, the ditty had me smiling for the rest of my journey to spicy tuna roll land, and for a minute there I felt like I was in a scene from some kind of Spike Lee joint.

2 comments :

Cindi Burger Barrett said...

What a pleasant surprise, I love it. I hope they return. Love that you are posting so much!

Caroline Armstrong said...

It is like when they honk the car horn at you driving down the road....do they think you are gonna chase them down and invite them out for a night theyll never forget? Too funny.
Its too bad all of them are not as original and humorous as that group of guys rapping...that would be something to stop for!