Sunday, June 22, 2008

City Living 101 (a few things that happen here you don't see anywhere else)

1) A corner store or convenience store, here in the city is called a "Bodega" no matter who owns it or the quality of goods. I have found that most stores I have been
in, even if they look kind of shady, carry a wide variety of organic and vegetarian options. This is true of restaurants as well. It's interesting to me in a city where it seems like it would be more difficult to traffic goods in and out, the concern for organics and vegetarian options is still so high. I guess it has something to do with there not being a ton of regular grocery stores around, and so these "bodegas" help bridge the gap between your run-of-the mill MAPCO and your Kroger or Harris Teeter.

2)People make out in the street here like it's no big deal!
You never see this in the suburbs. But three times since I've arrived (that's more than once a week on average) I've stumbled upon couples unashamedly and unabashedly making out knowing full well people are watching. One girl we saw in Central park was even sitting spread eagle in this guys lap (Sam insisted they were European but I don't know...) And it's not like they were in some shadowy corner and you 'caught' them. I think I've discovered some new breed of couple that enjoys or is so oblivious to the world around them that they continue behaving like they are in the privacy of their own bedroom. I wonder if people with this kind of personality are drawn to the city or if the city makes you that way.

3)Trannies. Fierce Trannies.

4)Forget Craig's List--in our neighborhood you just put something on the curb and put a sign on it that says "free" and it's gone within 24 hours. The first time I witnessed somebody doing this I thought it was crazy! But I've seen it happen on three different occasions now (this actually may not be true in every city neighborhood, so you just gotta use your best judgment). Last night I actually put a bag of stuff on the curb in a gift bag with winnie the pooh on it--I had thought of taking it to goodwill, but then I remembered what I had seen before and gave it a try. Sure enough it was gone this morning. On my way back from walking the dog, I passed a man on the sidewalk carrying the same bag. I found this hilarious.

1 comment :

William Ryan said...

I miss the trannies. Halloween is a wonderland. hehe