Monday, June 23, 2008

Our Apartment (part 1)

A lot of you have been asking to see pictures of the new apartment. We still don't have a couch, which makes for interesting evenings when we try to lounge, and we're missing a special something for Sam's 5,000 dvds, but I'll go ahead and post some pics of the rooms a few days after we moved in and the ones that are more finished. Let's start the virtual tour, shall we?


ENTRYWAY

When you first walk in you have this lovely mudroom/hallway area. The big yellow thing you see is the Air Bazooka I gave Sam for his bday--it can blow a blast of air at your face from up to 50 feet away! I know! Also this is where we keep our games, bathing suits, coats, hats, and I created some drawers under the shoe shelf for Ellie's stuff and extra utility stuff. The rug is made out of recycled bicycle tires and the chair is straight off the set of that show Cashmere Mafia. Our friend Alison worked on it and they gave away everything after the show was cancelled. So we have quite a few Cashmere Mafia pieces at the moment. :)

BATHROOM

To the right of the Entryway is our lovely Bathroom. My favorite decorative touch is the bathmat shaped like a frying egg! Ah man, who doesn't love that. You can't see very well but all of Sam's music prints that I gave him are in here, as well as a few of his favorite action figures. Let's go take a peak at the kitchen! Come on!


KITCHEN
Some of you know about my dream of having a kitchen like Amelie's (from the movie) and it is really coming together now that I have space to put everything and no bugs taking up residence in all my appliances! The kitchen is about 3 times the size of our old kitchen. That's because we live in Brooklyn. What you don't see here is the set of table and chairs we scored from the previous rentee, in the lower right hand corner, which I will include in the next installment after I hang my plate arrangement on that wall.

Here's also a very scary picture of our kitchen the weekend we moved in:



BEDROOM
So the day after we moved in the Landlord, a younger guy who is Polish, came with some paint samples and told us to pick out a color. He also added, "Either you paint, or we paint for you." Sam and I looked at each other--free Paint job? sweet! So he brings this other Polish guy who speaks no English to help paint and when they are finished, we notice they have also painted all of the molding around the doors and windows. I have never seen that approach before.

You can see our view of the neighboring buildings, and there in the window are some plants and I am trying to grow a pine tree. Oh, and that's the quilt me mum just made me out of all the dresses she has made me growing up--including pieces from the bridesmaid dresses she just made.


That shelf is a real pain to hang. Sam's contribution was the clone troopers placed on the top middle shelves. On the wall to the left of the shelf are my grandmother and sam's grandfather, and on the right, sam's maternal grandmother with her family and my maternal grandfather. You'll also notice the fan, which we keep going at all times. Central a/c, man. Thank your lucky stars for your central a/c. Those were the days...

TERRACE

We have this bangin terrace that's almost like another room. I haven't seen any other balconies like this anywhere in Manhattan or Brooklyn. Usually if there are balconies on a building they are teeny tiny, like only enough room for you to walk out and wave at pedestrians while standing. Anyhoo, it's a nice space.


Here's another view of our street. They are building a schmancy overpriced new building next door (we hopped the roof and snuck a peak--very small bedrooms and small everything for high prices) so the jackhammering and roadwork is impeding our enjoyment of the nabe a bit, but it should be nice when it's finished in a month or so. In the distance on the right corner is a laundromat/cafe (you can also drop your laundry there and they will do it for you), past that is the street we take up a block to the park/dog run, and past that another bodega that boasts a great ice cream selection and mysterious meats.

Stay tuned in a couple of weeks for part 2--Living Room/Office! Bye for now!

6 comments :

William Ryan said...

SUPER cute crib! I can't believe how huge your kitchen is. Love it!
L

lindz said...

AND, notice the growlers that have a place of honor in the kitchen :) Sam started to put them on top of the cabinets and I said, "No! We have to put them where everyone can see them!" They remind me of you all.

fever team said...

I couldn't help but reminisce about the video tour that you made of our condo in Colorado. Perhaps photo tours are your true talent :)

Anna said...

So cute Lindz! I love reading your blog!

Cindi Barrett said...

it's just beautiful. calming, really.

LiamT said...

Wow nice spot. I hope to visit. I like the terrace balcony thing. Can you supply pictures of the atrium or the lavatory soon?