Monday, June 16, 2008

Just Your Typical Wednesday Morning Police Chase


God I love New York. I'm here for five days and I feel like I'm on an episode of NYPD Blue. So I'm walking to work Wednesday morning, just minding my business, bopping through the Union Square Subway Station on my way to catch the 6 Uptown (see how cool I sound already?). And everyone's pretty much doing the same thing, listening to their iPods, drinking iced lattes and what not and all the sudden I see a blur of motion go past me.

Now mind you this is a pretty normal thing. I think to myself, "That guy REALLY needs to get to his train..." He's bombin'-ass down the stairs towards the platform like it's nobody's business and people aren't really thinking anything of it. Literally like 9 seconds later, a GANG of New Yorks Finest go barrelling past. I'm talking like a half dozen cops in uniform and another easy half dozen in plain-clothes. These guys are yelling "Get out the way!" "NYPD" "EVERYONE MOVE" and that sort of thing. I'm totally waiting for the camera crew to go hustling past. So the cops follow this dude down the stairs and the guy is ahead of them by a bit. I wasn't ready for what happened next.

This crazy son-of-a-bee JUMPS off the platform INTO the subway tunnel and goes haulin' biscuits up the track. Mind you, he's running towards the direction the GIANT subway train will be coming from. Not that the train is coming. The cops are all yelling and talking into radios and they start JUMPING into the tunnel as well. I don't know what happened to the guy, don't know what he did, don't know if he got away. The trains were running slow, a bunch of New Yorkers were real pissed off about it, yet everyone basically seemed to go about their business. This was perhaps the craziest thing I've seen in quite some time.

To be fair, I recounted this story to some friends of mine who've been up here about a year now and they all admitted they hadn't seen ANYTHING close to that nuts since they've been up here. So I feel special and that regard. Like I really got to witness something crazy and delightful.

So then New York, I know we don't know eachother that well yet, but I think I'm already starting to fall in love with you. You crazy broad...

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

I found this story exhilarating.