Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Good Old Days


It makes me sad that things that used to be so very awesome when I was just a squirt are nowhere near as cool, or delicious, or fun now that I'm "all grown up". I'm wondering, is it me? Generally being a glass half full kind of guy however, I've found there's still quite a few things that are just as badass as they were when we were younger. But the bad news first;
First off is Cereal. Several blasphemers recently tried to convince me that Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch was the real McCoy of breakfast delights when they were kids. This was apparently the best dessert cereal that God gave to man. I was always a sugar cereal fan when I was a kid, and I was a HUGE fan of the OG Cap'n Crunch. I figured maybe the PB version was worth checking out. I did, it sucks, stick with the red box, you'll thank me later (if you the cereal makers can't even shape your peanut butter wannabe puff like the standard Crunch pillow, we have nothing to discuss in the breakfast department).
It pains me to say that next on the list is Saturday Morning Cartoons. Namely because landmark programs like GI Joe, Transformers, Looney Toons and Gem aren't on anymore. And don't think that I don't check often to make sure. Shows like He-Man aren't the cream of the crop anymore, but we still get valuable lessons at the end of every episode like "Skeletor lost because he was a fascist". Where'd the values go? Bring back the shows that made us procrastinate doing our weekend chores!
Driving is also on the list. Remember just counting the days til you got your license? And how awesome it felt to grab the keys to the Mazda 626 and hit the road? Well those days are over. Somehow between 1996 and today, EVERYONE forgot how to merge, learned how to text on the road, and bought Hummers. Lindsey and I are counting the days til we sell our cars and hit the Subway in NYC!
So is this just because I'm getting older you ask? HELLS NO! I have irrefutable proof that I can still appreciate some good stuff from our youth;
Like Pudding Pops (when you can find them). Pudding Pops are still the most excellent of frozen treats. You can argue, but I'll sic Bill Cosby on your ass. Caprisun is awesome, just ask my wife. She loves the astronaut drink pouches! The Rocketeer is still a movie that makes me feel magical. I saw it as a kid, bought it as an adult and it holds up. Even now I want to get a rocket pack and kick some Nazi butt. Lego's are just as awesome as you remember (but now they have Batman, Starwars, and Indiana Jones sets). And regular Nintendo will still bring a smile to the most sour of faces (until I smoke their ass in Tecmo Bowl--hut hut hut hut hut hut hut!)
I'm not jaded or overly cynical. Sometimes I just miss those days when everything was equally awesome under the less harmful sun in a cell phone free world where my Knight Rider big wheel was gettin' 40 miles to the gallon of grape Kool Aid. Oh yeah!

No comments :