Friday, February 22, 2008

Flowbee stylee or, how to give your hubby a haircut

Sam refuses to pay good money for a haircut (we'd rather spend it on stuffing ourselves with sushi whenever and wherever possible) and since his mum isn't around the corner anymore to work coiffing magic with her Flowbee, it was time for me to step up to the plate. I have to admit, I was kind of avoiding his haircutting pleas for a while there. Shaggy as he thought his hair was getting, I was terrified, that, like the scuba-diving incident (see honeymoon blog for details), I might unwittingly do something to put his life in danger or seriously and irrevocably maim him. I couldn't live with myself if I maimed him or his hair irrevocably. Even if I didn't maim him what if I did a general piss poor job and he had to walk around with bad hair for several weeks? Oh the horror. The horror!

He sat a chair down in front of the bathroom mirror recently and said, "It's time." I gulped. But, I knew I couldn't run away from my conjugal duties forever. I opened a new package of scissors and swore I'd give it my all. I covered the bathroom floor in plastic trash bags. I pulled up my sleeves and touched his tender follicles one last time. After a quick tutorial on how to use his trimming gadget, we were off to the races! I was a little tentative at first (the aforementioned intense fear of maiming), but after Sam reassured me about 25 times (I wasn't sure if I should believe him the first 24 or so) that there was a safety on his trimming contraption that prevented me from killing him or even having the ability to cut him, I was free as a bird! I really like this haircutting gig, it's a lot like painting. In the end, I gave him a stand up haircut. I think he was even surprisingly impressed with how well it turned out. Maybe I should add barber to my ever-expanding list of part-time jobs! For now, I suppose I will continue cutting his hair free of charge.

One more note: Look how elated Sam looks in the picture! He has wild, happy, love-my-new-haircut eyes. That one piece in front looks a little wonky, but I assure you in real life he was an absolute vision!

1 comment :

gbabyd said...

Ah yes, the haircut... I used to cut hair back in college for an ex and his friends... Sadly, I did not have your talent, and occasionally a 20-year old man would leave the bathroom weeping like a 5 year old; as it happens, a missing patch of hair really is a travesty. Lucky for Sam you have steady hands.