Thursday, January 24, 2008

Outtakes in Wedding Portraiture

Our photographer from the big day finally has all our pictures up on his website. I was relieved to find they capture the occasion perfectly. I was a little worried since our brilliant photographer claimed to have food poisoning and spent the better part of the evening on the floor, literally, writhing on the ground. I think we were all a little worried. But, somewhere between the writhing he got a lot of great shots. Instead of putting the most picture perfect selections up, I wanted to share some that are a bit more off the beaten path:
Here are two of my beautiful bridesmaids at the wedding rehearsal. Are they sad because the rehearsal is a bit chaotic? Their hunger is about to get the best of them? They've lost the group and can't find their way back through the wilderness to their car? I love this because whatever they're pretending, it's actually not a face I ever see them make. So I feel like I'm getting to see another moment of the weekend I otherwise would have missed out on.

Here bridesmaid Cindi and I are on the wedding day. I love this because it almost looks like two separate pictures that got photoshopped together. I look like I'm about to kiss her and she looks like she just ate some bad tuna, but we still both look glowy and fab. So it's an oxymoronic wedding moment.

Mary and Drew the graphic designers! They look very dapper first of all, and also like they're about to take off into outerspace. The effect of seeing them clearly and everything else is a swooshy blur is mucho fantastico. Plus everyone else in the background looks especially ghostly, which is fitting since the whole wedding thing becomes another fleeting moment before you know it.

I am dying to know what was happening in this picture. My Mom and Will the curly haired brother are both making faces like "This is so bizarre," and Hunter the brother on the right looks like he is trying to laugh something off but he thinks it's strange too. This was right before they walked down the aisle. I have to know what caused these facial expressions.

My new husband is licking the cake off my thumb. You never get to practice for that kind of stuff. Cutting a cake and feeding it to someone with dozens of onlookers. It's weird that my thumb's in his mouth, but I think we kind of make it work.

This picture proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that my mother is a diva, and a rock star.

I'm so happy Rory got this picture. I keep hearing about how Sam's brother was in rare form, dancing, and enjoying his birthday and our wedding, which happened to be on the same day. All the women around him are clapping their hands and looking gleefully at him as if to say, "more! don't stop there!" It looks like he's just in between dance moves. I hope they got him dancing on video.

This was an out of body moment. Walking to the car with everyone waving and making noise. I couldn't stop smiling or waving, like I'd just seen all my favorite characters at Disney World. I love this pic because it looks like Sam and I are a museum exhibit, caught frozen and smiling behing the glass. You can see someone is waving back at me in the window reflection (probably because I had been incessantly waving at them).

1 comment :

Gretchen said...

Brilliant. These pictures are entirely too much fun. Yes, Laura and I were making sad faces - but it was a really fun moment in reality, and probably the most fun wedding weekend in wedding history. Maybe Rory's illness improved his game because he really brought it - love it.