Thursday, February 27, 2014

McClain's favorites: 0-3 months



As new parents we got tons of baby accoutrements at showers and from friends and family. Some of it we used only once or twice while other items have benefited M almost every day. Above are the MVP's from his first three months:
1) Halo Sleep Sack. Nothing fancy here, but we had several other similar blanket/sleep sack type deals given to us and I have found this one is the easiest for changing diapers in the middle of the night and has transitioned well even though we don't swaddle M anymore. The fleece one is great for winter, and we'll definitely be getting a lighter weight one for summer months.
2) Sound machine. We lived on a really busy street in Brooklyn and I had some sleepless nights before we invested in one of these babies. We keep one in our room and one in M's room, and they are practically on round the clock. We have barky dogs who I would have murdered by now were it not for the wonderful white noise emitted by these life savers.
3) Zutano fleece booties. We are now firmly in a I-kick-my-socks-off-deliberately-every-time-you-put them-on-me-phase (this is a phase, right?) but even before this phase, baby socks always seem to just fall right off babies feet. (And don't even get me started on where the other one goes when you wash them. I currently have a giant pile of tiny socks in my laundry room with no match). These guys stay on so much better than regular socks, and they're super soft to boot!
4) Small tins filled with coconut oil. I bought several little tins from our local health food store, and filled them with our favorite coconut oil. I keep one on the changing table and one in the diaper bag and congratulate myself daily for being so clever.
5) California Baby diaper wash. This stuff is awesome. I never would have bought it if a friend had not given us some to try, but now I am slightly obsessed with it. It's great for cleaning bottoms when a little poo is stuck on there (like when M poops in the middle of the night while asleep and we discover it several hours later...) We use washcloths to clean his bum and these are a perfect combo. M hasn't had any cuts yet but it says it works great for boo-boo's too, and I plan on trying it out then, when that harrowing day arrives! (hopefully when M is 12).
6) Chan Pie Gnon from Vulli. From the makers of Sophie the Giraffe, these little mushroom guys are a little more compact and easier for small hands to hold. Being a french nerd, I love that these varieties are named after the french word for "mushroom," and also love how they smell and feel and that they're made from natural rubber and food grade paints. When M was 2 months, he loved looking at their little faces, and now he's starting to teeth and loves to chew on their weird little heads.
7) Boppy with fabulous cover made by my talented mom. We use this now more for propping M up, but the first month or so I used this non stop for nursing. I know some people have hopped over to the My Breast Friend camp, and as much fun as it is to ask your husband out loud to bring you that when you have company over, I still prefer the Boppy for softness and versatility. Gorgeous fabric is by Joel Dewberry from his line, Notting Hill. Holding myself back from plastering my whole house in this.
8) Nose Frida. We were so excited when my brother came to visit for Thanksgiving, and at 6 weeks, gave M his first cold! Just kidding, it was hell on earth. Giving basically anything to a sick child who is under 12 weeks old is not recommended (swell!) but we found some much needed relief for M from his snotty nose with the Nose Frida (or as Sam likes to call it, the baby hookah). It's also weirdly satisfying to suck snot out of your baby's nose and see it all sitting in there. May you have your baby in the springtime and not suffer the same fate!

1 comment :

Cindi Burger Barrett said...

Look at you and your fancy blogging! Sorry it took me forever to catch up but I love to make comments on others blogs because I like mine to be commented on, too!