Monday, June 15, 2009

Scary Humans: part 1


I've decided to devote some time on the old blogaroosky to the weird New Yorkers I have interactions with on a daily basis. There is something about living in the city that lends itself to strange conversations with people around you.

Today, I was running 10 blocks uptown to get to a casting I was helping out with (where I would go on to be bored to tears signing in models for a Comcast advertisement casting. 200 girls in their swimsuits, jumping at the chance to play a "beach mom"--some of them didn't even bother bringing bathing suits. scary.) and a man (who was probably homeless)--was trying to sell me fruit roll-ups at $2 a pop (which is horribly expensive for an individual fruit-roll up). I usually tell people who try to hock something on me that I don't have any cash, or that I'm flat out not interested, but every now and then somebody catches me without an excuse. Today I happened to have some cash, and the guy had fruit roll ups, which I didn't even know they still made! He fed me some line about how I was helping basketball playing children in india or the like, and I said, "alright, you got change?" I pull out a twenty dollar bill, and the guy proceeds to try to talk me into paying $20 for 10 fruit roll-ups. "It's for a good cause!" he kept saying. "I'll take 5. Final offer." I said. (even as I agreed to it I was thinking, I can't believe I am paying this much for fruit roll-ups, and I also, what am I going to do with five fruit roll-ups??) He offers me the box of roll-ups, then proceeds to grab a wad of cash from out of his SWEATPANTS and betwixt his nether regions. He counts out ten one dollar bills and hands them to me. "You have a great day, now." he calls, as I shutter and throw the damp money in my purse.

3 comments :

LouEffie said...

Ewwww! Bet you wish you had opted for the 10 fruit roll ups at that point.

Cindi Barrett said...

that's disgusting. I hope the fruit roll ups weren't contaminated.

Gretchen said...

Oh my... oh my...