Sunday, October 26, 2008

Getting on my soapbox...

I try to keep this a New York experience-related blog, but something has been bothering me lately and I really just needed to get it off my chest. I was at a conference this week in Orlando with my mother-in-law, for this really amazing company called Nikken (which is a whole other blog all together...I have a whole new appreciation for the healing power of magnets!) and I got into this conversation with this older canadian lady (who was really quite adorable) about her son. She started talking about how he and his wife were getting to be in their late thirties and trying to decide about kids because they felt like they were "running out of time" to have them, and then she tells me that they PLANNED on (in the event she even gets pregnant) aborting the baby if they do testing and it has down syndrome. I was floored. Obviously people are not usually that candid about this kind of thing, and I may be opening up a really taboo subject here, and I will also say I'm not here to judge anyone or make any decisions for anyone. But having worked with kids with down syndrome for about six years, I have to tell anyone out there who hasn't had experience with these kids what a gift they are. God made all of us no matter what differences we may have, and I just find it incredibly sad and depressing to think about these special people not having a chance in the world based on people's misunderstandings of who they are. I wonder if many people who make the decision to abort have spent any time around anyone with down syndrome. I guess I think about all the things your child could have to deal with in life that are just as hard or harder than dealing with a down syndrome label--including all the parents out there dealing with kids with autism. I think about all the kids I have known with down syndrome who are loving and so playful and full of great joy and sometimes a bit stubborn. Having come from a special ed./research background, I have to tell you how far we've come with kids with special needs and how much the quality of their lives have improved even from 30 years ago. I have also known some incredibly high functioning people with down syndrome who have pretty broad vocabularies and social skills and ability to live on their own. The numbers are simply shocking these days. Up to 80% of these babies are being aborted by potential parents, which I just find unfathomable. The emphasis on the Palin family and their baby Trig has been portrayed interestingly in the media. At times the media seems to emphasize what a sacrifice they have made by choosing to have these special babies, like they are heroes. I can tell you how many parents of these special kids have told me that they (the parents) are the ones who have been blessed, to have these amazing people in their lives to be examples of love to them, and that it is their children who are the heroes. Obviously looking at the numbers there are a lot of people who don't get that, and I wish the Canadian lady's son had been there so I could talk to him about that.

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

I agree--we have to be careful when society starts devaluing and ranking human life....

Cindi Burger Barrett said...

Lindz, I am sooooo glad you got on your soap box as well. I ADORE children with Downs, it is so true that they bless your life more than you do their's. I think knowledge is power! I pray that more women and men find out information not only on downs but on so many areas of life that they would change if only they had learned the TRUTH and knowledge. I am in shock of that statistic!

Unknown said...

Special needs are on a continuum, they are not black and white, and honestly, we are all on that continuum whether we want to acknowledge that or not. I feel that so many people are absolutely terrified of anything or anyone who brings up for them their own vulnerability. Wake up people! You will not kill off your vulnerable, soft places by getting rid of anything/anyone who doesn't meet your definition of "perfect".

3vsMe said...

I know several people who have had false results on those tests. If I relied on those tests, we wouldn't have our Haysie, Jack or Madden...and then what would the world be like?

Anonymous said...

My sister in-law has Downs, this sickens me. Not the abortion issue, more the range of designing genes. Where would we be in the world if everyone is perfect? For that matter, perhaps our minds are not what God planned, and the heart of a Downs person is the closest we'll get to a perfect human until we meet our maker.

"The greatest blessing granted to mankind come by way of madness, which is a divine gift."
— Socrates

Think Autistic Savants and then think of the world without Mozart or Thomas Jefferson. Difference is Divine.

Say hi to Sam for me.
Skylor

The Roaming Southerner said...

This is such a well written and thoughtful post. Thank you for sharing.