Saturday, December 22, 2007

First Married Christmas


So Sam and I are up in Lexington for our first married christmas. It's funny and weird to realize after watching your mom do stuff like make christmas cookies and wrap gifts and cook for armies for twenty some odd years that there are other moms everywhere doing the same things. Sam's mom is just finishing up making muffins and two kinds of soup and chocolate caramel turtles and these italian cookies called Pizelle. How do moms do it all? It's kind of a mind boggle considering I could be in this so-called mom camp someday, and yet moms are always doing stuff that seems superhuman. Like there is literally no room in the fridge for all these piles of food, but Sam's mom will come up with a way to make it all fit perfectly. My thought was, why not eat some of the food that's in the way? No one else in the family seems to be into the idea, based on the looks I got when double fisting some cookies in the name of making more room in the hydrator. Back to this superhuman mom thing, I feel like I have a lot to live up to when and if I become a mom someday. Like there are secret mom things that I feel like you can never be truly indoctrinated into until you have wee ones of your own. Such as, how moms always seem to know how to get stains out of things, or the perfect amount of time for cooking everything so that it's golden brown on top but still a little squishy in the middle. And as a mom, you can set the tone for some of the holiday traditions you have with your family, along with your husband, I suppose. Like, if you want to go around wearing paper bags on your feet and talking in Australian accents on Christmas eve, it'll be a good eighteen to twenty years before your kids know that's not what everyone else does, and even then, there seems to be a certain affinity for things experienced around the holidays in your youth. Like how I think Amy Grant is the definitive singer of Christmas music, and then when I put it in for Sam to enjoy, specifically her first album, I was informed that some of the tracks were "awful," (meanwhile he is planning on playing John Denver and the Muppets christmas for me, his definitive christmas album as a kid) and I have to admit that a few of the heavy synthesizer tracks are starting to show their age a bit, but even so, as a child, this was Christmas. And therefore, I will defend it staunchly for years to come, even if that means wearing paper bags on my feet.

No comments :