Tuesday, November 27, 2007

How We Found Our Inner Crackhead

I'm just going to go ahead and say it. I have an addiction. There comes a point in everyone's life when you just have to go ahead and 'fess up. So I'm letting you in, dear Reader, about the my dirty little secret. I've come to terms with my problem, I've accepted it and frankly come to enjoy it. At first I felt a little odd, walking around the house with that dazed, vacant look in my eyes. I'd explain to people at work that I had the "shakes" just cause I was cold or tired. The truth of the matter, is that I'm a junkie. TV on DVD is my drug of choice and I just can't seem to kick the habit. And my wife is just as bad as me.
I knew we were both in for it when we first started dating and she confessed that there was a time when she'd come home from work on her lunch break to jones on episodes of Felicity. Sensing that our relationship was a "safe place" to talk about such things, I proudly explained that I burned through the 14 (sigh) episodes of Firefly in two days when I first got them. Then I furthered her J.J. Abrams problems when she got her wisdom teeth out and I left her with Lost: Season 1. Well that crazy fox burned through it with a frightful tv-pseudo-coma-like-craziness that only a gal hopped up pain killers and pudding pops can muster. God I love my wife.
And now it's like we try to out do each other in the best way! We saddle up on our crappy couch and inhale The Office like a couple of gunfighters playing cards, daring the other to "just watch one more" as the 22 minute segments fly by. It's sick, it's twisted, and it's commercial free! Nothing annoys me more than watching BSG (Battlestar Galactica for all you haters out there) and having my peeps interrupted by shameless advertising. Don't all these commercial-slinging pimps know that these people are FIGHTING TO SAVE THE HUMAN RACE FROM EXTINCTION? For the love of all that is Holy people, I don't need that kind of drama interrupted by ads for cereal, tires, or the dreaded reality show! Actually, I'll note that there is a Children's Hospital commercial and Applebee's commercial out there that make me get a little misty eyed but that's for another time.
I'm not promoting addiction. And I'm not promoting tv. However, I may be promoting TV on DVD addiction. It seems relatively harmless, you can take it at your own pace, and it's loads of fun for the whole family! I mean if you've got to have a problem, it's best to have someone to share it with right? I'm not going to judge my wife when I occasionally come home from work and she's crouched on top of the coffee table, caressing My So Called Life, gutturally uttering "Myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy preciousssssssss..." And in turn, she accepts the fact that I'm not above accidentally trampling someone's grandmother at the store so we can get home and check out a fistful of Scrubs episodes. And that's just a Tuesday night. You should see us on the weekends...

No comments :